You have two main ways to get live wallpapers and animated backgrounds on Windows 7/8/10. Each of these options lets you add your own backgrounds or those made by others.
- Wallpaper Engine (Price: $3.99, Recommend)
- VideoPaper (Free)
Let’s look at each of these options in turn.
1. Wallpaper Engine:
Of all the live wallpaper options out there, Wallpaper Engine is definitely the favorite. To download Wallpaper Engine, you’ll need to have Steam installed on your PC first. Once you have Steam running, just type “Wallpaper Engine” into the store search and the following window will pop up.
As we mentioned earlier, you should expect to spend around $3.99 for the app (depending on whether or not it’s on Steam Sale when you search).
From there Steam will automatically download and install Wallpaper Engine, and you’re good to go!
Minimum System Requirements:
- OS: Windows 7 (with Aero), 8.1, 10
- Processor: 1.66 GHz Intel i5 or equivalent
- Memory: 1024 MB RAM
- Graphics: HD Graphics 4000 or above
- DirectX: Version 10
- Storage: 512 MB available space
- Additional Notes: Windows N versions require the ‘Media Feature Pack’ from Microsoft. Max video res. Windows 8, 10: 4K, Windows 7: 1080p
Download Wallpaper Engine: ($3.99) STEAM
Reddit users are truly impressive creatures: when they see something that needs to be done, they do it.
User /u/Im-German-Lets-Party is a prime example of this fact, having created an excellent video wallpaper program VideoPaper.
- On looping it still might blink black / red for a millisecond
- Video scaling, probably can’t be solved. You need videos in the correct resolution(s) of your screen. You can test this by playing a file in windows media player and going fullscreen. Are there black bars? If yes, then VideoPaper will have them too.
- Improved looping
- Added multi screen / panel support
- Fixed user switching
- Fixed return from hybernation, suspend etc.
- Fixed shutdown (no longer blocks shutdown)
- New gui
- Added notifications (can be disabled)
- General code cleanup
Download VideoPaper: (Free) DOWNLOAD
Head to the link above and download the program to get started.
Once your program is downloaded and unzipped, double-click on the VideoPaper.exe file and you will receive a notification on your Taskbar. Right-click the VideoPaper icon and select Settings to get started.
This will open the VideoPaper window. A handy little piece of software, VideoPaper will allow you to place a video as your wallpaper background. It does this by placing a your file as a sort of skin above the conventional wallpaper, but below your icons and task bar.
The technique to using this software is as follows:
- Click Create Video Panel: This will create a profile for your video. You can save different profiles for different videos.
- Adjust Width & Height: Change the width and height parameters to those of your monitor resolution.
- Adjust Top & Left: This adjusts the position of your video. To position your video to the exact center of your screen, make both of these parameters 0.
- Click Set Size + Position: This will lock in your positioning and resolution for your video.
- Click Set Video: A file window will open. Select the video you want to use as a wallpaper.
Done! Through the use of this handy little program, you can now use videos as wallpaper freely and easily.
VIDEOPAPER REDDIT PAGE: CLICK HERE
livewallp.com is not affiliated with any software. We just like their neat software.